A chiropractic adjustment, also known as chiropractic manipulation, manual manipulation, or spinal manipulation, is the primary chiropractic treatment method for back pain.
Adjustments relieve pressure on joints, reduce inflammation, and improve nerve function. They have been a trusted form of treatment since the ancient Greek Hippocrates documented manipulative techniques in his writings back in 1500 B.C. Today, adjustments are used to treat conditions such as allergies, menstrual cramps and headaches.
How Do Adjustments Work?
When vertebrae shift out of place, there is an overall systemic response from the muscular system to the central nervous system. Without proper alignment and flow, our nerves, our immune system, and our minds cannot function at their highest peak.
There are well over 100 types of adjustment techniques used by chiropractors throughout the world. Some practitioners may use force and twisting, while other techniques are more gentle. Regardless of how they are performed, these techniques are intended to restore or enhance joint function with the objectives of reducing pain and resolving joint inflammation.
The following techniques are used at Arbor Chiropractic:
- This is one of the most utilized and traditional techniques within the chiropractic profession.
- Dr. Bryan will be as gentle as possible, while trying to get the job done.
Logan Basic Technique
- This is a very light contact technique that was one of the cornerstones of Dr. Bryan's education.
- Great for acute injuries.
- Ideal for women in their child bearing year.
- The activator tool has a well researched method that delivers a release to the joints that Dr. Bryan finds restricted or fixated.
- A great and gentle technique for those that do not prefer the "hands-on" methods.
Therapeutic Exercises and Stretches
These will be assigned as needed to promote and maintain:
- Joint health.
- Spinal posture.
Overall, spinal adjustments are an excellent way to keep the body functioning at its highest level without any discomfort. When the body is adequately aligned, it becomes able to respond and perform as it was built to do.